Franklin Police: Lock vehiclesPublished 10:11am Wednesday, June 19, 2013
FRANKLIN—Three juveniles were taken into custody Monday night by Franklin Police, following an investigation into a theft from a vehicle in the 50 block of Crescent Drive. However, the three 16-year-olds were released due to the juvenile point system.
According to Lt. Tim Whitt, FPD spokesman, an officer responded to a call at 9:40 p.m. Monday in reference to items being stolen from a car on Crescent Drive.
While in route to the call, the responding officer encountered three juveniles, two of whom were carrying backpacks. As the investigation continued, the officer checked inside the backpacks and found a laptop and a pair of shoes. When police contacted the victim on Crescent Drive, that person indicated those were the items that had been stolen from the vehicle.
The three juveniles, all from Bruce Street in Franklin, were taken into custody but did not amass enough points to be placed in detention. They were released into the custody of their parents, pending juvenile petitions.
As the investigation continued, police discovered further evidence that related the juveniles to other thefts.
Whitt said that at 10:17 p.m. April 4 in the 200 block of Forrest Pines, three vehicles were ransacked and an umbrella taken.
At 11:54 p.m. June 16, three more cars were broken into in the 100 block of Forest Pines, where cash and computer disks were taken. And at 6:30 p.m., June 17, in the 600 block of Norfleet Street, a GPS unit was stolen from a vehicle. Whitt said these previous cases had all been cleared after the incident Monday night.
“What is troubling about this — is the cars were unlocked,” said Whitt.
He has been trying to get the word out to residents to keep vehicles locked at all times and not leave anything of value inside. He reiterated the same message again, warning people to be vigilant.
“Lock these things up,” he stressed.
“Keep your valuables secure and vehicles locked. And as always, report any suspicious activity to the police.”