Troop 17 Scoutmaster grateful for honorPublished 10:01am Wednesday, June 19, 2013
To the Editor:
On Saturday, June 8th, as part of the 100th anniversary of Scout Troop 17, a new “Scout Shack” was dedicated. To my total surprise, it was dedicated in my name for having been a long-time Scoutmaster of the Troop. I have been blessed to have been a Scout in the Troop as a young man and to have been able to return to Franklin and pay back my Scout Leaders by being an adult leader in this wonderful organization.
The dedication of the new “Shack” in my name was such an overwhelming honor and surprise that I was totally overcome with emotion and could barely speak. I was flabbergasted and managed to only mumble a feeble thank you into the microphone. Now, slightly more composed, I would like to offer some thanks. It takes the work and effort of many dedicated volunteers to provide a quality Scouting program such as Troop 17; a program that over the past 100 years has served over 1,000 young men and this community.
In particular, the following groups of people deserve recognition:
• Thank you to the “Foundations” that made this wonderful new “Scout Shack” possible. It replaces a structure built for Franklin Boy Scouts in 1946 and that Troop 17 has outgrown.
• Thank you to every adult leader who has helped me with Troop 17 in any capacity since 1979, especially those adults who have faithfully come to weekly Scout meetings, weekend camping trips, service projects and who have used vacation to take scouts to summer camp and high adventure trips.
These adults have made Troop 17 a memorable Scouting experience for hundreds of young men. Many of these leaders continued to serve even after their sons left the Troop.
• Thank you fellow leaders for the camaraderie that makes Scouting fun for the adults as well as for the Scouts.
• Thank you to the parents who have helped over the years by driving Scouts to events, who have helped with fund raisers, who have helped with service projects and who have supported the Troop in general.
• Thank you to the leaders who came before us and made Troop 17 an institution in Franklin.
• Thank you to the current leaders as they move Troop 17 forward into the future.
• Thank you to the Boys who became Scouts.