A wide array of scholarships available at PDCCCPublished 11:45am Saturday, June 22, 2013
by Felicia Blow
The cost of an education should not stop anyone from reaching their educational goals. That’s why Paul D. Camp Community College has established a number of opportunities for prospective and current students to get their education paid for through scholarships.
We’ve given away thousands and thousands of dollars over the history of the Foundation’s existence …and we’d like to help even more students fulfill their dream of attaining a quality education.
What’s truly amazing is that the scholarships managed by the College have been made available primarily through the generosity of a number of individuals just like you. These amazing individuals have in many cases sacrificed, saved, and contributed in order to help others achieve success. This column intends to highlight the many dedicated organizations and persons who’ve provided scholarships at Paul D. Camp Community College.
Scholarships at PDCCC
The types of scholarships at Paul D. Camp Community College vary greatly…it’s fair to say that there’s just about something available for everyone!
We have scholarships for graduating high school seniors entering Paul D. Camp Community College for the first time. There are scholarships for first generation college attendees or those who are financially in need of support. We also have a plethora of opportunities for continuing students at the College. And the Foundation just endowed a scholarship fund targeted to “non-traditional” students; essentially it’s for those students who’ve waited to attend college and perhaps have jobs or are raising a family.
So as you can tell, the opportunities are great and we encourage students to take full advantage of the scholarship opportunities available to them.
The following are just a few of those which are available to students for the fall 2013 semester:
- 40/7 Society Scholarship: This scholarship is available to Non-traditional students, who have a demonstrated financial need and are in good academic standing with College.
- Wal-Mart Community Involvement Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to a student enrolled in a degree or certificate program on the Franklin Campus and requires an essay about the importance of community involvement.
- Bertella C. Westbrook Memorial Scholarship for Nursing Students: This scholarship was established in memory of Bertella C. Westbrook, RN, who was a staunch advocate of education and the nursing profession.
- Dean Nancy Sandberg Scholarship: This scholarship is in honor of one of the College’s long-term Deans. It is available to those who are 25 years or older. Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED, and they must be enrolled in a certificate or degree program at the College.
- Career Preparation Grants: This scholarship is available to a new or returning student from Franklin, Southampton or Isle of Wight (one for each service area) with an interest in career or job preparation.
- Dr. Douglas W. and Grace Boyce Scholarship: This scholarship was established in by the PDCCC Foundation board in honor of Dr. Douglas W. Boyce, President of Paul D. Camp Community College from November 2002 through June 2010, and his wife. It is awarded to someone who plans to use education to contribute to the local economy.
Other fall 2013 scholarships:
- American Association of University Women, Suffolk Branch
- Suffolk Ruritan Nursing Scholarship
- Shirley N. Barnes Scholarship
- Cross Realty Career Grant
- Donald C. Boyce Education Scholarship
- Dr. Alvin C. Rogers Endowed Scholarship
- PDCCC Classified Personnel Association Scholarship
- Kiwanis Club of Suffolk Scholarship
- Lawrence M. (Marvin) Farmer Memorial Scholarship
- Smithfield-Luter Foundation Scholarship
Want more information?
Contact the Office of Institutional Advancement at (757) 569-6790 or visit us at www.pdc.edu/scholarships. You also can visit our Paul D. Camp Community College Foundation site found at www.pdcccfoundation.org for information on the recipients of the many Paul D. Camp Community College scholarships.
FELICIA BLOW, APR, is Vice President for Institutional Advancement and Executive Director of the Paul D. Camp Community College Foundation. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.