Franklin and Hunterdale Volunteer firefighters work on putting out a fire at the BP New Dixie Mart on Armory Drive. -- Cain Madden | Tidewater News
Franklin and Hunterdale Volunteer firefighters work on putting out a fire at the BP New Dixie Mart on Armory Drive. -- Cain Madden | Tidewater News

Archived Story

Fire in Armory Drive business

Published 1:17pm Wednesday, August 14, 2013

FRANKLIN—When BP New Dixie Mart manager Angela Buckingham was at work Wednesday morning, she and other employees started to smell smoke.

After opening the storeroom door and seeing the smoke, she immediately dialed 911 at 11:41 a.m. By 12:09, Buckingham was putting the mats out to welcome people to the business.

Firefighters responded and had electrical crews come in to shut off the power to the pumps off as a precaution.

Deputy Chief Mark Carr said the hot water heater caused the fire. A wiring fuse in the paneling had melted, and Carr said it might have been due to an electrical short.

Buckingham had evacuated everyone, so no one was hurt. The store is open for business.

Comments are closed.

Editor's Picks