Thank you on your service.
Military Tax Information
Personal Property Returns & Taxes
When an vehicle is licensed with out-of-state tags solely within the navy member’s title, a Newport News private property return shouldn’t be required.
If you’re within the Armed Services, not a resident of Virginia, and are a full time energetic obligation navy member, you might be exempt from the non-public property tax and car license charge primarily based in your navy standing. In order to find out your eligibility, please present a duplicate of a present 12 months Leave and Earnings Statement (LES). You might add your LES to our safe webpage at https://cor.nnva.gov/upload/.
For a property utilized in a enterprise or commerce, leased by the energetic obligation navy member and/or collectively titled with a partner, and for Coast Guard Members, please contact our workplace at 757-926-8657.
Military Spouses Residency Relief Act (SCRA)-Effective November 11, 2009
The DoD extension of expired ID playing cards will finish 06/30/2021. If the ID card offered for exemption is expired, your tax legal responsibility will start 07/01/2021. You ought to contact your native navy set up for extra data
Spouses of energetic obligation navy members who’ve automobiles titled of their title or collectively with the service member could also be exempt from private property tax if the next circumstances are met:
- Spouse is absent from his/her state of authorized residence solely to be with the service member in compliance with navy orders and
- Service member and partner have the identical state of residence or domicile and never the state of Virginia and
- Vehicles aren’t utilized in a commerce or enterprise.
Annual documentation required:
- Copy of the service member’s present Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)
- Copy of navy dependent identification card (back and front)
- Affidavit (PDF) accomplished and signed by partner of the service member
- Submit not less than one supporting doc proving partner’s domicile:
- Virginia Special Nonresident Claim type 763S (if not relevant, full the Military Affidavit for Unemployed Spouse) Military Spouse Affidavit (VBTA)
- Spouse’s voter registration from service member’s state of residence/domicile
- Spouse’s present driver’s license from service member’s state of residence/domicile (exemption given primarily based on situation date and expiration date on drivers license and can’t be expired inside the years you’re making use of for the navy exemption)
- Documents displaying partner owns property, has drafted a will, claimed homestead exemption, or has certified for and is at present receiving state advantages in service member’s claimed state of residence / domicile.
It shall be essential to file yearly a duplicate of your most present depart and earnings assertion (LES) displaying your title, final 4 of the social safety quantity, state of residence and estimated time of separation (ETS) or separation date.
If your LES signifies a present 12 months ETS or separation date, will probably be needed to offer your new ETS date. An up to date depart and earnings assertion (LES) or up to date identification card along with your new separation date shall be acceptable.
If your LES is unobtainable on the time of registration, will probably be essential to file a duplicate of your depart and earnings assertion earlier than any accounts might be exempted from taxation.
NATO members and international navy college students are required to file a tax exemption letter from the suitable company every year. One letter is suitable for all properties.
Individuals Residing on Federal Installations
Individuals residing on federal installations are required to file depart and earnings statements as all different people claiming exemption attributable to navy standing. Property owned by Virginia residents in addition to property underneath lease, co-owned with a non-military, non-spouse or utilized in a commerce or enterprise is taxable no matter bodily location on a federally-owned set up.
Out of the State With Virginia Tags
If the car is moved out of the state of Virginia and the Virginia tags are present, the non-Virginia resident armed service member should proceed to offer a present LES to be thought of for tax exemption. If the car is licensed out-of-state, a duplicate of the brand new registration is required to take away this property from our tax rolls.
Questions & Additional Assistance
As all the time, particular circumstances shall be given particular consideration. The Commissioner of the Revenue’s workplace is prepared to work with people to offer the absolute best service. If you may have any issues or questions, please don’t hesitate to name our workplace at 757-926-8657, submit a query on-line, or go to one in every of our places of work.