Here at We ❤ Health Literacy Headquarters, we’re huge followers of each preventive well being care and stopping the unfold of COVID-19. So lately, expensive readers, we actually ❤ telehealth. According to CDC, 4 in 10 U.S. adults have avoided health care due to COVID-19 concerns. That’s, properly, regarding! People want routine well being care, pandemic or no — and telehealth lets them get it with zero nervousness about additionally getting COVID at their go to.
As well being communicators, we will educate our audiences about telehealth and encourage them to offer it a strive. Start with a easy definition for the newbies on the market: Telehealth — generally referred to as telemedicine or a digital go to — is principally distant well being care. If you’re utilizing a pc, telephone, or pill for a physician go to, that’s telehealth.
And whereas telehealth actually can’t take the place of all in-person visits, it’s an ideal choice for issues like:
- Yearly checkups along with your main care physician
- Dermatology visits
- Mental well being counseling
- Nutrition counseling
- Follow-up visits to share take a look at outcomes
Once you’ve coated the fundamentals, spotlight some key telehealth advantages:
- It’s safer. Right now, telehealth’s most important promoting level is that it permits of us to remain related to care with out the chance of getting COVID at a physician’s workplace or hospital. Just consider it like social distancing, however along with your physician.
- It’s sooner. When you narrow out the commute, the ready room, the second ready room (er, examination room), the go to will get a complete lot shorter — and a complete lot simpler to suit right into a busy schedule. And who’s ever mentioned, “I wish I spent more time sitting in waiting rooms”? That’s proper. No one!
- It will increase entry. Telehealth is especially useful for individuals who have to see a specialist however don’t dwell close to one — and it removes the transportation barrier basically. Many telehealth suppliers additionally provide appointments outdoors conventional physician’s workplace hours, making it simpler for folks to search out instances that work for them.
So encourage your audiences to ask if their medical doctors provide telehealth — and to test with their insurance coverage carriers to ensure it’s coated.
And lastly, whereas COVID security gained’t be as a lot of a problem sooner or later (we certain hope!), 2 of the three advantages above will maintain true lengthy after the pandemic is over. So whereas it’s a wonderful instrument for retaining folks related to care throughout COVID, we predict telehealth is right here to remain.
The backside line: Encourage your audiences to discover telehealth — throughout COVID-19 and past.
Tweet about it: #Telehealth is a safe, effective way to get routine health care — during the pandemic and beyond. @CommunicateHlth has tips for explaining the benefits of telehealth to your audiences: https://bit.ly/3sAuk6F #communicateCOVID